LAG Plackovica, LAG Malesh-Pijanec, LAG Belasica-Ograzden, LAG Bojmija and LAG Aber-2015
Project title: Community Development Program (CDP)
Implementer: Rural Development Network of North Macedonia
Partners: LAG Plackovica, LAG Malesh-Pijanec, LAG Belasica-Ograzden, LAG Bojmija, LAG Aber-2015 and SEG Holding.
This program is part of the Local Works initiative through which USAID is helping communities to drive their own development by creating their own programs and activities. Rather than follow the typical top-down approach of initiatives created outside communities, the Community Development Program will stimulate locally led development by supporting Local Action Groups and other local leadership efforts to engage community members in the design and delivery of solutions to their challenges and seek local resources to develop rural areas.
To develop rural areas in the targeted regions of North Macedonia and engage local actors in the identification and prioritization of the real community needs to rely on their own resources to undertake socio-economic and environmental-friendly investments, with increased commitment from (local) public and private sector. The goal of CDP is to catalyze the development of less developed, rural communities in N. Macedonia (North-East, East, and South-East Planning Regions) through utilizing emerging cross-sector (public, private and civic sector) platforms represented also through 5 Local Action Groups: LAG Plackovica, LAG Malesh-Pijanec, LAG Belasica-Ograzden, LAG Bojmija, and LAG Aber-2015. This program is part of the Local Works initiative through which USAID is helping communities to drive their own development by creating their own programs and activities. Rather than follow the typical top-down approach of initiatives created outside communities, CDP stimulates locally led development by supporting Local Action Groups and other local leadership efforts to engage community members in the design and delivery of solutions to their challenges and seek local resources to develop rural areas.
Component 1: Networking and Empowerment – Enabling single-sector and cross-sector liaising and capacity building of local stakeholders for developing innovative actions for improvement of local community wellbeing.
Component 2: Mobilization of local resources for achieving sustainable locally-led development models – as a process of bringing together as many stakeholders as possible to raise people’s awareness of and demand for actions for community development and to assist in the delivery of resources and services while strengthening community participation for achieving sustainability and self-reliance.
Component 3: Outreach and transfer of knowledge – community outreach implies providing critical information and access to that information to the wider community and public to achieve a broad understanding of the community self-reliance approach and transfer of knowledge to all interested stakeholders.
The project activities take place in three planning regions of the country: East, North-East and South-East, through 5 Local Action Groups (LAGs), that include 18 municipalities, capitalizing on the established foundations of this interests-shared model of all involved parties.
Introduction to consultancy mission:
SEG Holding, as one of the CDP implementing partners, is responsible for realization of capacity building activities for the Local Action Groups and/or other relevant stakeholders in the targeted regions. During the Training Needs Assessment (TNA) of the LAGs, conducted within the CDP, the self-reliance and stakeholder involvement concepts were identified as the required approach to establishing a successful system at all levels within the LAGs.
Thus, the purpose of this Contract is to provide 2 training sessions for the participants from the target LAGs on self-reliance and stakeholder mobilization in community development initiatives.
Through the self-reliance training they will be able to support participatory development in the community, which would lead to improvement in the economic, political and social sphere, starting from the bottom up through the valorization of the existing economic, natural, cultural and social resources at the local level. Through the training, the level of social cohesion, social responsibility and mutual dependence for decision-making, mobilizing resources will be improved.
Through the stakeholder mobilization training they will be able to engage and manage stakeholder relationships particularly vital for community development and social investment programs and strategies. Thus, they will learn about the process and mechanisms for animation, mobilization and involvement of stakeholders, in the creation of policies of great importance for the community and accordingly contribute to the constructive, effective and timely involvement in the decision-making process for development of the community.
Scope of Work
The main responsibility of the Capacity building expert will be to conduct one-day training on self-reliance and one-day training on stakeholders’ mobilization for the purpose of community development initiatives.
The Capacity Building expert will be responsible for preparing a methodology for conducting the trainings and diverse tools for stakeholders’ mobilization designed according to the needs of the participants.
The content of the trainings should cover the following topics:
- Introduction to self-reliance concept
- What is self-reliance in community development?
- How to promote the self-reliance in the community effectively?
- What are the objectives of self reliance development?
- Why self-reliance is important for an individual?
- What are the benefits of self-reliance to the society?
- What is an example of self-reliance? Etc.
Stakeholders’ mobilization training:
- Introduction to the main mechanisms and approaches of stakeholder animation and mobilization;
- What is meant by stakeholders?
- Who are the stakeholders and what is the role of the stakeholders in community development?
- Why is the stakeholder involvement important in planning?
- What is the main purpose of their animation and mobilization?
- How to keep key stakeholders engaged?
The Capacity building expert will receive support from the responsible person at SEG Holding during the process of preparation of the methodology and diverse tools for stakeholders’ mobilization, introduction to the needs of the participants, as well as during the implementation of the training.
Tasks and deliverables:
- Development of work methodology for the two trainings
- Preparation of diverse tools for animation and mobilization of stakeholders
- Preparation of presentations (Power Point) that will remain available to the organization pertinent to the trainings
- Preparation of working materials for the workshop participants for both trainings
- Conducting a one-day training on self-reliance and one-day training on stakeholders’ mobilization in community development initiatives
- Preparation of one report for trainings’ delivery
Period of execution of activities
Timeframe for implementation of the training: September 2022.
Level of effort: The Capacity building expert will have total of 9 working days (4,5 for self-reliance training and 4,5 for stakeholders’ mobilization training) to prepare, implement and report on the trainings’ delivery.
- At least Bachelor’s degree in law/economics/social sciences or related disciplines or at least 7 years of experience working with different sector entities in socio-economic development and/or rural development and/or regional/municipal development. Master’s degree will be considered an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in preparing/conducting/facilitating trainings/workshops/seminars with focus on networking, animation, funding, self-reliance, community development initiatives/processes that aim to increase responsibilities and capacities of involved stakeholders
- Ability to plan, organize and communicate effectively and efficiently
- Fluency in Macedonian and English language
- Focus on timely fulfillment of assigned tasks
All interested candidates are required to submit:
- professional biography (CV),
- portfolio / list of clients / organizations which received the same / similar activities (e.g. training),
- proposed brief methodology for the planned trainings and
- financial offer form for both trainings and respective days
The documents marked Call for hiring a Capacity building expert for conducting training on self-reliance and stakeholder mobilization, should be submitted by email to: email@example.com, no later than 05.09.2022 until 12:00 p.m. The applicants will be notified of the results of the call, electronically, no later than 5 days after the selection.
Evaluation and selection process:
Criteria for selecting a capacity building expert:
- Experience and proposed methodology – 70%
- Financial offer – 30%