1. Project Background
Project title: Community Development Program (CDP)
Implementer: Rural Development Network of North Macedonia
Partners: LAG Plackovica, LAG Malesh-Pijanec, LAG Belasica-Ograzden, LAG Bojmija, LAG Aber2015, and SEG Consulting
This program is part of the Local Works initiative through which USAID is helping communities to drive their own development by creating their own programs and activities. Rather than follow the typical topdown approach of initiatives created outside communities, the Community Development Program will stimulate locally led development by supporting Local Action Groups and other local leadership efforts to engage community members in the design and delivery of solutions to their challenges and seek local resources to develop rural areas.
Objective: To develop rural areas in the targeted regions of North Macedonia and engage local actors in the identification and prioritization of the real community needs to rely on their own resources to undertake socio-economic and environmental-friendly investments, with increased commitment from (local) public and private sector. The goal of the Community development program (CDP) is to catalyze the development of less developed, rural communities in N. Macedonia (North-East, East, and South-East Planning Regions) through utilizing emerging cross-sector (public, private and civic sector) platforms represented also through 5 Local Action Groups: LAG Plackovica, LAG Malesh-Pijanec, LAG Belasica-Ograzden, LAG Bojmija, and LAG Aber-2015.
Component 1) Networking and Empowerment – Enabling single-sector and cross-sector liaising and capacity building of local stakeholders for developing innovative actions for improvement of local community wellbeing.
Component 2) Mobilization of local resources for achieving sustainable locally-led development models – as a process of bringing together as many stakeholders as possible to raise people’s awareness of and demand for actions for community development and to assist in the delivery of resources and services while strengthening community participation for achieving sustainability and self-reliance.
Component 3) Outreach and transfer of knowledge – community outreach implies providing critical information and access to that information to the wider community and public to achieve a broad understanding of the community self-reliance approach and transfer of knowledge to all interested stakeholders.
The project activities take place in three regions of the country: East, North-East and South-East, through 5 Local Action Groups (LAGs), that include 18 municipalities, capitalizing on the established foundations of this interests-shared model of all involved parties. This project is funded by the USAID Community Development Program, implemented by the Rural Development Network of North Macedonia, with the support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Introduction of the Scope of Work
SEG Holding, as one of the Community Development Programme implementing partners, is responsible for preparation of Policy brief (position paper) for the Local Action Groups and/or other relevant stakeholders in the targeted regions. This brief will be used to lobby for policy changes, or to create new local policy that will lead to the community development in the field of social entrepreneurship in rural area, and will be distributed to the relevant local and/or national institutions. All stakeholders at local level will be involved in the preparation of the Policy brief for social entrepreneurship in rural area through discussion. Discussion will be organized by the Local Action Groups in collaboration with the CDP team. Policy brief is to help lobbing for legislative changes/amendments, or implementation thereof are produced for lobbying before authorities.
Scope of Work
The main responsibility of the Policy expert will be to develop “Policy brief (document) for social entrepreneurship in rural area”. Timeframe for implementation: from 20.09.2022 to 30.09.2022.
Level of effort: The Policy expert will have 5 working days to prepare Policy brief for social entrepreneurship in rural areas. The person will be responsible for preparing a methodology for conducting the Policy brief. The content of the policy brief should cover the following topics:
- Presents a context of a problem
- Promote some kind of change
- Spend more effort on new evidence and solutions/options rather than introducing the problem
- Gives clear policy recommendations or implications in field of social entrepreneurship in rural areas
- Provides evidence to support the reasoning behind these recommendations
The Policy building expert will receive support from the responsible person at SEG Holding during the process of preparation of the Policy brief.
Tasks to be performed by the Policy building expert:
- Development of work methodology
- Preparation of Policy brief for social entrepreneurship in rural areas.
- Preparation of a report
Required qualifications of the Capacity building expert:
- At least Bachelor’s degree in law/economics/social sciences or related disciplines and at least 3 years of experience working in social entrepreneurship in the last 5 years
- At least 2 policy briefs, analysis, research, mentoring or training in field of social entrepreneurship in the last 5 years
- At least 1 policy brief, analysis, research, mentoring or training in field of social entrepreneurship in rural area, in the last 5 years
- Ability to plan, organize and communicate effectively and efficiently
- Fluency in Macedonian and English language
- Focus on timely fulfillment of assigned tasks
All interested candidates are required to submit:
- professional biography (CV),
- portfolio / list of clients / organizations which received the same / similar activities (e.g. policy briefs, analysis, research, mentoring or training), • proposed brief methodology for the planned training and
- financial offer form.
The documents marked Call for hiring a Policy expert for conducting • Preparation of Policy brief for social entrepreneurship in rural areas, should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 20.09.2022 until 12:00 p.m.
The applicants will be notified of the results of the call, electronically, no later than 5 days after the selection.
* Legal entities can also apply for the call by nominating an individual who meets the conditions for conducting the engagement.
Criteria for selecting a Capacity building expert:
- Experience – 60%
- Proposed methodology – 10%
- Financial offer – 30%